Older Frequently Asked Questions (for legacy Audacity and international help)
These are older Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ), only for:
- legacy versions of Audacity
- users of current Audacity in languages where the current FAQ has no translation yet.
Additional help in French, German, Russian or Spanish can be obtained from our International Forum.
- Is Audacity really free? Why?
- Does Audacity contain any viruses, spyware or adware?
- May I distribute copies of Audacity?
- Someone is selling Audacity on eBay. Is this legal?
- How can I change the language displayed in Audacity?
- Does Audacity run on 64-bit systems?
Installation and Plug-Ins
- How do I download and install the LAME MP3 encoder?
- What should I do if I have problems downloading or installing Audacity?
- How can I record in stereo?
- How do I record from vinyl records, cassette tapes, or minidiscs?
- Why can I not record in Windows Vista or 7?
- Can I play a track while recording a new one on top of it?
- Why isn’t my new track in sync with the previous ones?
- Can Audacity record RealAudio or other streaming audio?
- Can I set Audacity to record at a certain time?
Opening and Saving Files
- How do I open an Audacity project (AUP file) in another program?
- Why does Audacity create a folder full of .au files when I save a project?
- Audacity crashed! Can I recover any unsaved data?
- Can Audacity import additional formats like M4A, WMA or FLAC?
- How do I import a track from an audio CD?
- How do I save my recording on an audio CD?
- How can I split a long recording into multiple files or CD tracks?