Mac OS X
Recommended Downloads - Latest Version of Audacity
Audacity 2.0.6 (.dmg file, 32.4 MB, including help files) for OS X 10.4 to 10.9.x (Universal Binary)
Audacity 2.0.6 zip file (14.3 MB) for OS X 10.4 to 10.9.x (Universal Binary) - Use this if you want a smaller download (without help files).
Installation instructions (.dmg files):
- Double-click the downloaded DMG to mount it.
- Do not double-click the "Audacity" folder in the DMG window. Drag the entire "Audacity" folder icon to the /Applications folder icon on the right (or to any other location of your choosing).
- Eject the DMG at bottom left of Finder, then launch Audacity.app from the "Audacity" folder in /Applications or from your chosen location.
- To permanently enable Audacity launch, right-click or control-click on the Audacity application in Finder, choose "Open", then in the dialog box that appears, choose "Open".
Plug-ins and Libraries
LADSPA plug-ins zip file - over 90 plug-ins.
Plug-Ins - Download additional effects and filters.
LAME MP3 encoder - Allows Audacity to export MP3 files.
FFmpeg import/export library - Allows Audacity to import and export many additional audio formats such as AC3, AMR(NB), M4A and WMA, and to import audio from video files.
Alternative Download Links
- SourceForge hosts the current Audacity version and all previous versions. Click on the required folder under "Name" to find the version you require.
- Google Code hosts selected previous versions up to and including Audacity 2.0.5.
Audacity Nightly Builds
For advanced users, Nightly Builds for OS X 10.4 to 10.9.x (Universal Binary) are available for testing purposes. "Nightly Builds" are Alpha builds from latest development code. Your help in testing and reporting bugs in these builds is invaluable. Note: These builds will definitely be less reliable than official releases. They should not be used as your production version of Audacity.
Where Audacity is to be used for lengthy multi-track projects, we recommend a minimum of 2 GB RAM and 2 GHz processor (4 GB RAM on OS X 10.7 or later).