Audacity can record live audio through a microphone or mixer, or digitize recordings from cassette tapes, records, or minidiscs. With some sound cards, Audacity can also capture streaming audio.
- Record from microphone, line input, USB/Firewire devices and others.
- Device Toolbar manages multiple input and output devices.
- Timer Record and Sound Activated Recording features.
- Dub over existing tracks to create multi-track recordings.
- Record at sample rates up to 192,000 Hz (subject to appropriate hardware). Up to 384,000 Hz is supported for appropriate high-resolution devices, except when using Windows DirectSound host.
- Record multiple channels at once (subject to appropriate hardware).
- Level meters can monitor volume levels before, during and after recording. Clipping can be displayed in the waveform or in a label track.
Import and Export
Import sound files, edit them, and combine them with other files or new recordings. Export your recordings in many different file formats, including multiple files at once.
- Import and export WAV, AIFF, AU, FLAC and Ogg Vorbis files.
- Fast "On-Demand" import of WAV or AIFF files (letting you start work with the files almost immediately) if read directly from source.
- Import and export all formats supported by libsndfile such as GSM 6.10, 32-bit and 64-bit float WAV and U/A-Law.
- Import MPEG audio (including MP2 and MP3 files) using libmad.
- Import raw (headerless) audio files using the "Import Raw" command.
- Create WAV or AIFF files suitable for burning to audio CD.
- Export MP3 files with the optional LAME encoder library.
- Import and export AC3, M4A/M4R (AAC) and WMA with the optional FFmpeg library (this also supports import of audio from video files).
- 支持 16-bit，24-bit 和 32-bit (浮点) 采样 (the latter preserves samples in excess of full scale)。
- 使用高质量的重采样和抖动处理 转换采样率与格式。
- 多个 剪辑可存在于一个轨道中。
- 标签 自动跟随同步锁定轨道可保持轨道与标签同步。
- Change the pitch without altering the tempo (or vice-versa).
- Remove static, hiss, hum or other constant background noises.
- Alter frequencies with Equalization, Bass Boost, High/Low Pass and Notch Filter effects.
- Adjust volume with Compressor, Amplify, Normalize, Fade In/Fade Out and Adjustable Fade effects.
- Remove Vocals from suitable stereo tracks.
- Create voice-overs for podcasts or DJ sets using Auto Duck effect.
- Other built-in effects include:
- Paulstretch (extreme stretch)
- Truncate Silence
- Run "Chains" of effects on a project or multiple files in Batch Processing mode.
- Spectrogram view modes for visualizing frequencies.
- "Plot Spectrum" command for detailed frequency analysis.
- "Sample Data Export" for exporting a file containing amplitude values for each sample in the selection.
- Contrast Analysis for analyzing average rms volume differences between foreground speech and background music.
- Support for adding VAMP analysis plug-ins.
Free and Cross-Platform
- Licensed under the GNU General Public License (GPL).
- Runs on Windows, Mac OS X and GNU/Linux.